I’m posting Halloween-themed cocktails this week because I love Halloween, and I want you to have a party. Live a little.
I don’t usually like Bloody Marys because I want them to taste more like spaghetti sauce. I got exactly what I wanted by adding some fresh herbs and a little more kick than usual. If I had a more time, I’d puree tomatoes instead of using canned juice, but let’s assume you’re hungover and willing to roll with it.
Killer Bloody Mary
– Shot of Ketel 1 vodka
– 2 shots Campbell’s Tomato Juice
– 3/4 Tsp. chili paste
– Dash Worchestershire
– 1.5 Tsp. lemon juice
– pinch of fresh finely chopped basil
– pinch of fresh finely chopped rosemary
– mushroom to garnish
Put everything in a lowball, mix it up with a spoon, plop in a couple ice cubes, and stir until the drink is chilled.
Mushroom Skull Garnish
– Choose a mushroom with a large cap and stem.
– Take the tip of a sharp paring knife, barely insert it where you want your eyes, then twist.
– Use a toothpick to fine-tune your work by picking out the bits you don’t want.
– Use the tip of the knife to carve your nose. You want a shape like a flower petal with two pointed tips, or a slim oval that comes to a point at each end.
– To make the “teeth” on the stem, do one cut up the center of the stem that you’ll use to balance your mushroom on the glass.
– Now alternate wide and skinny cuts so the bottom of the mushroom looks like an unevenly sliced pie.
– Dig out the “skinny” slivers to make the spaces between teeth more apparent.
– BAM! Nailed it.
I’m making 100 cocktails as part of my Life List. This is number thirteen. Here are the rest:
3. The Vacation
4. Sassy Lassi
5. Cherry Bing
6. The ABC
7. Toddy Shots
8. Cafe Picante
10. The Neighbor