One of the things that can be irritating about piped-in holiday music is that my tastes are so specific to how I grew up. I made this Christmas mix for me, so I could hear just the right thing over cocoa. It can be a starting point for your own mix, or an easy collection for cocktails.
My top-ten favorite Christmas songs:
1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Judy Garland
2. Silent Night, Holy Night, Frank Sinatra
3. Santa Baby, Eartha Kitt
4. Silver Bells, Stevie Wonder
5. It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas, Michael Bublé
6. Frosty the Snowman, Fiona Apple
7. Go Tell it On the Mountain, Dolly Parton
8. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Gene Autry
9. What Child is This, Kristen Chenowith
10. O Holy Night, Kelly Clarkson
That last one especially.
What songs put you in the mood for decking the halls?
This is my spin on a digestif — for guests who aren’t inclined to drink their booze straight, whether to aid digestion or the conversation. It’s strong, intentionally so, but it’s also delicious.
Rim glass with nutmeg and sugar. Add:
• 1 shot Sailor Jerry’s rum
• 1 shot hot Earl Grey tea
• A splash of almond milk (to taste)
Despite the name, do not require that guests drink it off your body, or you’ll have some awkward burns to explain later.
Here’s to museums after dark, feeling healthy and well-rested, and playing it by ear. What are you toasting this week?
Were you ever watching So You Think You Can Dance, when you thought to yourself, “I need a signature cocktail to get me through this Bollywood routine.” Friend, I’ve got your back.
Sassy Lassi serves 3
• 6 oz mangos
• ½ cup coconut water
• 4 ice cubes
• 6 oz plain yogurt
• 3 shots Kraken rum
• Pistachios to garnish (These are good and crunchy. Do not skip them.)
Put everything in a blender except the pistachios and mix it up. Garnish and enjoy.
AB Chao is still in town, so here’s to Louisiana Iced Coffee in the sun, dancing around in your swimsuit, and sneaking smokes. What are you toasting this week?
This cocktail is so easy, but the type of rum matters. You want Kraken because it has a strong vanilla profile that softens the drink, and also because the cephalopod label makes your bar look so 2005-Brooklyn-Tattoo.
All you need is:
• A shot of Kraken Rum
• Coconut water to taste
Pour over ice, swizzle, and add an optional cherry garnish. Simple? Perfect. You’re on vacation, you shouldn’t have to work too hard for your drink.
Here’s to staying up all night talking on the porch, tubing on the river, sand in the car. What are you toasting this week?
BAM! I made shot glasses out of apricots! Because I am a Lady MacGyver. These contain tequila, so I regret not salting the rims to make Margarita Bites. Be ye not so thoughtless.
They’re easy to make. Three steps:
1. Test your apricots to make sure they’ll stand up on their bums.
2. While your apricot is standing on a flat surface, take a metal cap (I used one from a booze bottle), and press it into the stem end.
3. Use a knife or small spoon to pull out the top and the pit beneath.
Voila, drunkards! Tiny little booze bombs.
Happy Fourth of July tomorrow! Please do not do shots and light things on fire. Love, Maggie